Are you looking to make $10 for an hour of your time for a good cause. The Essex Memorial Day Parade is seeking banner carriers for the parade on Saturday May 25, individuals and groups are welcome. Please email or call Caroline Ashley at 802-363-8401 for details or
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
Again this year, we are accepting nominations for parade Grand Marshals! The committee will select up to three Grand Marshals that will be honored in the parade. The Grand Marshals will lead the parade, be celebrated the night before at the Memorial Service, and be recognized in local media. Nominees must have served in the country’s armed forces and must live in Essex or have a strong connection to the Essex community. Nominations for grand marshals are being accepted online only until April 14.
Parade Route and Parking
In response to your request we are posting a picture of the parade route, and suggestions for parking.
Parade Route: At 10:00am exactly, (be in place no later than 9:30am) parade steps off and leaves gate F of the Champlain Valley Exposition, follows access road to Rte 2A and turns right onto Rte 2A South (Lincoln St), follows Rte 2A south to the Essex Junction 5 corners (where reviewing stand is). Parade turns right at the 5 corners onto Rte 15 West (Pearl St) follows Pearl St to Exposition gate B (by Bouchard Pierce) where they will turn right and continue to the dispersal area. Motor vehicle performers may enter gate B or continue on. Total distance approximately: 1 ½ miles.
Parking: Parking in and around the parade route is available at Essex High School, Railroad Ave by the Amtrak Station and surrounding areas. However there is no parking on Route 2A or Pearl Street. If you park in Essex Shopping centers by Big Lots it is recommended you stay in sight of your vehicle. There is parade viewing all along the route.
ESSEX PARADE COMMITTEE INC.
75 Maple Street
Essex Junction, VT 05452
2019 Essex Memorial Day Parade
May 25, 2019
Rules and Guidelines
** IMPORTANT **
1. All Parade Participants are encouraged to enter through Champlain Valley Exposition Gate B (Pearl Street). Parking attendants and/or signage will show civilian/private vehicles where to park in the Main Exposition parking area and Parade Units to the staging areas. RE:MEMBER-THE ROADS CLOSE AT 9:00 AM
2. The Caisson Division and Divisions will stage in the Campground facing west to east.
Line up starting points will be marked by signage. Parade Staff and Marshals will assist in the lineup.
3. You will recieve a packet of information containing your parade position, a week or two before the parade to allow for late entries.
4. Parade Route: At 10:00am exactly, (be in place no later than 9:30am) parade steps off and leaves gate F of the Champlain Valley Exposition, follows access road to Rte 2A and turns right onto Rte 2A South (Lincoln St), follows Rte 2A south to the Essex Junction 5 corners (where reviewing stand is). Parade turns right at the 5 corners onto Rte 15 West (Pearl St) follows Pearl St to Exposition gate B (by Bouchard Pierce) where they will turn right and continue to the dispersal area. Motor vehicle performers may enter gate B or continue on. Total distance approximately: 1 ½ miles
5. Parade Committee Members will be wearing RED Shirts with the words “Parade Committee” on the back of the shirt. All Operation or Procedure questions should be directed to Parade Committee members.
6. Parade Marshalls will be wearing orange T-Shirts, and are in charge of keeping their division in order and within proper distance of the division in front of them. They will also monitor the area for any safety concerns.
7. Regarding Candy. Distribution of candy is allowed, but must be HANDED to people on the curbside. There will be no throwing of candy. Division Marshalls and Parade Staff will be monitoring, if you are seen throwing candy, you will be asked to stop dispensing.
8. Reviewing Stand Performances are allowed, the reviewing stand is located at the five corners. Any parade unit is allowed to perform in front of the reviewing stand; performances are to last no more than one minute (60 seconds). Parade units MUST NOTIFY us “Essex Memorial Day Parade” for addition to the Master of Ceremonies list if they wish to perform.
9. Float Judging Awards and Categories
There will be three (3) awards presented:
A. Best demonstration of Parade Theme
B. Most Creative/original
C. Most Community Oriented (something that recognizes a community group’s work)
Most Community Oriented:
The overall effective presentation of the float as it recognizes a specific community or non-profit group. Its presentation as it will appear on the parade route. Beauty and creativity.
Theme: How well the float design concept adapts to the parade theme.
Creativity/Originality: The creativeness and originality in the float design concept. The craftsmanship in the float creation. Detail in design and creation of float objects with the effective use of colors and materials.
Once the judging is complete, Judges will tally the scores, judges then notify the winners and awards are distributed. Placards are attached to both sides of the winning floats. Winner’s names are provided by Brad Luck (division staging area) to Brad (reviewing stand).
10. If you have a question or concern prior to Parade Day,
Contact us via our participant link here:
“Essex Memorial Day Parade”